Cleaning methods can vary from one window to another. What works well for vinyl replacement windows might not be suitable for wood or aluminum ones. With spring approaching fast, it’s important to understand the right way to keep your windows looking their best as you go about your yearly spring cleaning.
Improper cleaning can be a contributing factor to why windows fail prematurely. Here are recommended cleaning and maintenance tips for windows.
Although different materials can have different requirements, the following tips apply to almost all types of window: from a simple basement egress window to elaborate French-style double-hungs.
1. Choose a cloudy day to schedule your window cleaning. Cleaning your windows is not advisable during the rain, and direct sunshine might dry the cleaning solution to quickly and harm your glass panes.
2. Use non-abrasive rags to wipe all surfaces. Microfiber fabrics work best in this regard.
3. You can get a window cleaning solution from your local handyman shop, or you could use a 50-50 solution of water and liquid detergent. Either one is fine.
4. Dust away any dry particles from the window before washing it with the solution.
5. .Wipe the glass dry with a clean piece of cloth.
For wood replacement windows, it’s best to keep them coated with protective paint. Regular repainting is also needed to keep the wooden frame in good condition for longer.
Vinyl does not have many maintenance requirements, but they do benefit from regular cleaning. Follow the general guidelines to keep vinyl windows in good shape.
Contact our professionals at WMGB Home Improvement for regular inspection and maintenance of your replacement windows. Give us a call at (616) 328-6625, or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment or request a free estimate on replacement windows today. We serve homeowners in Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, MI.