Basement Egress Windows
If your Grand Rapids, MI area home as a finished basement that you like to spend some time in, like maybe a game room, or a home theatre room, or even a work room where you build and paint things, you should have a second means of escape from the basement — a basement egress. And if you have a bedroom in the basement, by law you must have an egress.
Learn How to Get $350 OFF Egress Windows!
New Code for “Emergency Escape Basement Egress Window”
Basement living space requires emergency escape and rescue openings. Your first step is to check your local Michigan building codes. Your code authority may have its own rules or it may be among the more than 90 percent of communities in the United States that adopt the standards of the International Code Council (ICC). The ICC’s 2006 International Residential Code for One- and Two-Story Dwellings has new language stating basements that contain habitable space need an egress window.
Whether it is an egress window in your Grand Rapids, MI home or an egress door, it has to open easily without the use of keys or tools. It must also follow code requirements for height and width of basement egress windows.
- A window with a minimum width of opening of 20 inches
- A window with a minimum height of opening of 24 inches
- A window with a minimum net clear opening –- the actual opening through which a person must crawl—of 5.7 square feet
- A sill height no higher than 44 inches above the floor
- A window-well floor space of 9 square feet with minimum dimensions of 36 inches wide and long.
- A permanent ladder or steps if the window well depth is more than 44 inches.
When we install your basement egress window or door for your Grand Rapids, MI area home, our expert installers will make sure that it is up to code.
FREE Egress Basement Windows Estimate
When you need a certified basement egress window installation professional for in Grand Rapids, Grand Haven or Holland, you can rely on WMGB Home Improvement. Contact us at (616) 243-3700 for more details or to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. You can also use our convenient online request form.